There is almost nothing better than fresh salsa. Being able to make my own to top my tacos, or just to eat with chips is awesome. I want to share my recipe with all of you! Feel free to add or remove any of the ingredients to make this salsa your own.
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Sit Time: 30 – 60 minutes
- 2 cups of chopped plum tomatoes
- 2 fresh jalapeño peppers
- 2/3 cup of green and red bell peppers
- 1/3 cup spanish onion
- 1/3 cup of english cucumber
- 1/2 bunch of fresh cilantro
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 tsp of salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp pepper (or to taste)
- Finely chop the tomatoes, peppers, onion, cucumber, and cilantro.
- Add all ingredients into a large bowl and mix.
- Cover and let sit in fridge for at least 30 minutes. The longer it sits, the more the flavour blends.
- nom nom nom
- You can use a food processor if finely chopping isn’t your deal.
- You can swap out the cilantro for parsley and/or lemon basil if you don’t like the taste of cilantro.
- Check the heat of your jalapeño peppers before putting them into the salsa. Fresh jalapeños can have no heat, some heat, or a lot of heat, it’s hard to tell from just looking at it. As your salsa sits, the heat of the jalapeño may get slightly stronger, so start light and you can always add more later on. I add 2 jalapeños for a medium heat salsa
- 1 lime ≅ 1 tbsp of lime juice.
- Switch out the red pepper for a yellow or orange pepper to add more color to your salsa.
- Add carrots. Seriously.